Scoresby Sund & Aurora Borealis aboard Hondius
DURATION:8 Days/ 7 NightsREGION:ArcticSHIP:Hondius
This thrilling 8-day expedition starts and finishes in Reykjavík, Iceland. Across the Denmark Strait explore the stunning Scoresby Sund fjord complex in East Greenland. Here, discover unbelievable scenery, historical sites, massive icebergs, a contemporary Inuit village, and of course the mesmerising northern lights.
You'll cruise aboard the world's first Polar Class 6 expedition ship, the new Hondius. Purpose built for cruising in the polar regions, you will savour outstanding levels of comfort and service onboard, while at the same time enjoying outstanding expedition trips ashore with expert guides and lecturers.
Operated by: Oceanwide Expeditions
Launched in mid 2019, the 174-passenger Hondius is the latest addition to the Oceanwide Expeditions fleet of polar ships. Engineered for flexibility above all else, Hondius is optimised for maximum engagement with nature, wildlife, and outdoor activities – because a dynamic environment demands a dynamic vessel, and there is no environment more dynamic than the polar regions. The agility of the Hondius design gives you this opportunity, delivering you to shore as fast as possible so you can enjoy these spectacular landscapes as much as possible.
FORTIFIED POLAR CLASS 6 TECHNOLOGY
Being flexible and fast does not make Hondius frail: It is one of the first civilian vessels in the world to receive a Polar Class 6 notation, the most advanced category of polar cruise ship to date. When you set foot on Hondius, you are indeed choosing the best of modern marine science.
The following additional options may be added to your cruise.
Paddle Your Way through the Arctic
An optional activity, kayaking is a fantastic way to explore the shorelines of Scoresby Sund. You’ll set out from Hondius in the calm waters of a secluded bay, exploring the coastline at your own pace. Paddling your way through the quiet of the scenery you’ll be able to fully enjoy the serene beauty of the Arctic landscapes that surround you.
Polar SCUBA Diving
If you’re searching for a way to expand your diving experience, join us on one of our diving cruises. Experienced divers will have the chance to glide through the amazing blue waters of the Arctic.
Your cruise price includes
- 7 night expedition voyage aboard the Hondius in selected room grade
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
Your cruise price does not include:
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post- land arrangements
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended - SAVE 20% when purchased with your expedition)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- Gratuities at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard - The cruise line recommends $8-10 per passenger per day
- Return road transfers from Reykjavik to the ship. Add USD $180 per person return.
FREE Photography Workshop - When words aren’t enough
Landscapes. Icebergs. Polar bears, whales, or penguins. Describing them to your friends is one thing, showing them is a whole other level. New to photography? We have photo pros on our cruises that can help you build up your basics. A shutterbug expert? Then bring your gear and get ready to wear out your memory cards.