Antarctica Discovery & Learning
DURATION:10 Days/ 9 NightsREGION:AntarcticaSHIP:Hondius
Board the new, state-of-the-art Hondius for a ten day expedition to the Antarctic Peninsula. This expedition showcases the very best of the Antarctic Peninsula, including sights such as Neko Harbour, Paradise Bay, Wilhelmina Bay and Petermann Island. Head ashore to set foot on the White Continent, joining
snowshoeing hikes and optional kayaking. A highlight of the trip is an opportunity to camp ashore overnight under the stars. The Hondius has been purpose-built for Antarctica expeditions. Launching in 2019, she will become the first vessel to attain Polar Class 6 accreditation.
We have multiple departure dates for this cruise. Select a year and month to view itineraries for alternative departure dates.
Operated by: Oceanwide Expeditions
Launched in mid 2019, the 174-passenger Hondius is the latest addition to the Oceanwide Expeditions fleet of polar ships. Engineered for flexibility above all else, Hondius is optimised for maximum engagement with nature, wildlife, and outdoor activities – because a dynamic environment demands a dynamic vessel, and there is no environment more dynamic than the polar regions. The agility of the Hondius design gives you this opportunity, delivering you to shore as fast as possible so you can enjoy these spectacular landscapes as much as possible.
FORTIFIED POLAR CLASS 6 TECHNOLOGY
Being flexible and fast does not make Hondius frail: It is one of the first civilian vessels in the world to receive a Polar Class 6 notation, the most advanced category of polar cruise ship to date. When you set foot on Hondius, you are indeed choosing the best of modern marine science.
The following additional options may be added to your cruise.
Camp Out Overnight under Antarctica Skies
Looking to take your Antarctic adventure further? Join us for a night of camping out under the Antarctic night sky. We bring the camping gear, you bring your sense of adventure. Wake up the next morning to enjoy some of the cleanest air in the world, go home with a new fantastic memory under your belt. Limited spaces available.
An optional activity, kayaking is a fantastic way to explore the shorelines of Antarctica. You’ll set out from Hondius in the calm waters of a secluded bay, exploring the coastline at your own pace. Paddling your way through the quiet of the scenery you’ll be able to fully enjoy the serene beauty of the Arctic or Antarctic landscapes that surround you. Limited spaces available.
FREE Snowshoeing in Antarctica
There are a variety of snow-shoeing treks on offer to suit your experience and your desired level of activity. No snow-shoeing experience? No problem! We’ll get you suited up and get you marching across the pristine snows of the Arctic and Antarctic landscapes in no time at all.
FREE Hondius Activities
Being a Hondius guest comes with its share of perks, among them an extensive array of activities entirely unique to the ship itself. In addition to vibrant musical acts and performances, Hondius offers a wide range of interactive workshops that explore such topics as astronomy, navigation, and other related fields. These interactive workshops, captivating exhibitions, and vibrant performances are planned both on the ship as well as out in nature.
Your cruise price includes
- 9 night expedition voyage aboard the Hondius in selected room grade
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
- Luggage transfer from pick-up point to the vessel on the day of embarkation, in Ushuaia
- Pre-scheduled group transfer from the vessel to the airport in Ushuaia (directly after disembarkation)
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
Your cruise price does not include:
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post- land arrangements
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended - SAVE 20% when purchased with your expedition)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- Gratuities at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard - The cruise line recommends $8-10 per passenger per day
Book your next cruise
Please note: This cruise is sold in USD
The itinerary described is for guidance only. Programmes may vary depending on local ice and weather conditions, the availability of landing sites and opportunities to see wildlife. The final itinerary will be determined by the Expedition Leader on board. Flexibility is paramount for expedition cruises.
You must be in good general health and you should be able to walk several hours per day. The expedition is ship-based and physically not very demanding. Although as much time as possible is spent ashore, travellers are welcome to remain aboard the ship if they like. To join most excursions, travellers must be able to get up and down the steep gangway from the ship to the water level to board the Zodiacs. Staff will assist travellers in and out of the boats. This will become progressively easier with practice. Ashore it can be slippery and rocky. You are travelling in remote areas without access to sophisticated medical facilities, so you must not join this expedition if you have a life-threatening condition, or need daily medical treatment.
A single supplement of 70% applies for sole use of cabins.