Expedition to the Polar Circle
DURATION:12 Days/ 11 NightsREGION:AntarcticaSHIP:Plancius
This 12 day voyage is designed to take you further south, crossing Antarctica's fabled Polar Circle. Pass through waters travelled by Humpback, Minke and Fin whales. Anchoring in various spots around the region, the expedition offers the chance to hike, kayak, and dive in the iceberg-heavy waters.
You will have ample time to travel ashore to hike and get up close and personal with myriad wildlife. In the company of the expedition team you are sure to make the most of every minute of your Antarctic discovery, whilst enjoying the 'home away from home' comforts of the Plancius.
Operated by: Oceanwide Expeditions
M/V Plancius was launched in 1976 as an oceanographic research vessel for the Royal Dutch Navy a role she maintained until June 2004, at which time she was purchased by current operator Oceanwide Expeditions. She was completely rebuilt and refurbished as a 116-passenger expedition vessel in 2009 and complies with the latest SOLAS (Safety Of Life At Sea) regulations. Plancius is classed by Lloyd’s Register with an ice-rating of 1D and flies the Dutch flag. Limited to no more than 116 passengers and 53 cabins, her size ensures a flexible polar experience with maximum wildlife opportunities. She is equipped with 10 Mark V zodiacs, including 40 HP 4-stroke outboard engines and 2 gangways on the starboard side, guaranteeing a swift zodiac operation. Plancius is comfortable and well-decorated, but is not a luxury vessel. Her voyages in the Arctic and Antarctic regions are primarily defined by an exploratory educational travel programme, spending as much time ashore as possible.
The following additional options may be added to your cruise.
One of the best features of Polar Region cruises is that you're never done exploring. Polar cruise kayaking is an amazing way to slip into the white and blue beauty of the quiet oceans around you. Kayaking is of course subject to weather and water conditions - your safety is the primary concern. That being said, any cruise with kayaking as an option tries to schedule up to four excursions.
As if visiting Antarctic wasn't other-worldly enough there is a whole other world for you to explore - under the surface of the seas. Aiming for 1 or 2 dives per day (depending on weather and ice conditions) you will dive under shallow ice, down along walls, from the beach, or from a Zodiac. You'll reach a maximum depth of 20 metres (60 feet). Diving under Polar waters is like no other dive - the combination of water, sunlight, and ice formations creates an ever-shifting spectacle of colours. *Must be a certified diver. Not available on all expeditions. Enquire for details.
Your cruise price includes
- 11 night expedition voyage aboard the Plancius
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
- Luggage transfer from pick-up point to the vessel on the day of embarkation, in Ushuaia
- Pre-scheduled group transfer from the vessel to the airport in Ushuaia (directly after disembarkation)
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
Your cruise price does not include:
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post- land arrangements
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended - SAVE 20% when purchased with your expedition)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- Gratuities at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard - The cruise line recommends $8-10 per passenger per day