North Pole Top of the World
DURATION:13 Days/ 12 NightsREGION:ArcticSHIP:50 Years of Victory
This incredible adventure begins in Murmansk, Russia. Embark the nuclear-powered icebreaker 50 Let Pobedy (50 Years of Victory) on a roundtrip voyage to the geographic North Pole. Anticipation heightens as the mighty ship smashes through the frozen Arctic Ocean toward the ultimate goal.
In addition to the exhilaration of cruising aboard a state-of-the-art icebreaker and the thrill of standing at the top of the world, you also have the opportunity to explore the rarely visited Russian Arctic archipelago of Franz Josef Land. This is an extraordinary voyage on a one-of-a-kind ship, worthy of a true adventurer.
We have multiple departure dates for this cruise. Select a year and month to view itineraries for alternative departure dates.
50 Years of Victory
Operated by: Poseidon Expeditions
The Russian name of the vessel 50 Let Pobedy means 50 Years of Victory. Powered by two nuclear reactors generating 75,000 horsepower and capable of crushing a clear path through multi-year ice up to three metres thick, she is the largest and most powerful icebreaker ever built. Cruising aboard this marvel of engineering is an unforgettable experience in itself. She is a working ship, purpose-built to pilot cargo and research ships through heavy ice.
50 Years of Victory is not a tourist ship. It is just during the short summer months when adventurers get a once-in-a-lifetime chance to travel aboard this real working icebreaker to the geographic North Pole. Despite the fact that the 'Victory' was not designed with touristic purposes in mind, it offers comfortable accommodation and gourmet cuisine for its guests. Public spaces create friendly, casual atmosphere for socialising and get-togethers.
A helicopter aboard the 50 Years of Victory in our North Pole cruises allows travellers be more than just spectators in this intrepid mission. Time, weather and/or ice conditions permitting, you will experience breathtaking helicopter rides over the icebreaker as it plows its way through the ice. Just imagine how amazing photo ops this adventure provides! The helicopter is also used to land on wild Franz Josef Land islands where Zodiacs cannot be used. So North Pole passengers are never far from the action. The helicopter landings and rides during the North Pole cruise are included in the cruise fare. Additional flight incur extra cost.
The Polar Regions are perhaps the most photogenic on earth, with countless beautiful scenes presenting themselves every day. Endless expanses of ice, beaches crowded with seals or penguins, sunsets over unbroken horizons, starlit skies, and even the majestic northern lights – they all present fantastic photographic opportunities – and in order to make sure that you come home with some spectacular images Poseidon Expeditions offers you the chance to learn and practice your photography alongside an experienced professional. The expert Photographer will be on hand to answer your questions and give advice, both in the form of onboard lectures and workshops on shore. Explore the key elements of photography in a fun and relaxed setting, with plenty of opportunities for questions and feedback. Learn how to see light in a new way and experiment with the techniques of composition and framing.
Your cruise price includes:
- 1 night pre-cruise hotel accommodation in Murmansk, Russia, with breakfast
- Transfer from airport to the hotel in Murmansk 1 day prior to departure
- Transfer from hotel to the port in Murmansk on embarkation day
- Transfer from the port to the airport or central location in Murmansk upon disembarkation
- Shipboard accommodation with housekeeping
- Shipboard breakfasts, lunches and dinners
- Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by helicopter
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by zodiacs
- Shore landings included in daily program
- Program of lectures and informal discussions by experienced Expedition Team and guest lecturers
- Professional Expedition Leadership
- Branded Poseidon Expeditions parka
- Rubber boots for shore landings for the time of the cruise
- Hair dryer and bathrobes in each cabin
- Informative pre-departure materials
- Expedition log with picture album on DVD
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- All shipboard luggage handling
- Personalised medical insurance covering the risks of evacuation and repatriation. Coverage: 100,000 EUR. Duration: cruise days only. This is only for passengers under 85 years old. Passengers over 85 years old are to purchase their own insurance policy with coverage not less than 100,000 EUR
- Letter of Invitation. This document should be presented to the Russian Consulate in your area in order to obtain a Russian Visa. Please, contact the Russian Consulate to learn more about the procedure for obtaining a Russian Visa. Let us know if you have any difficulties in visa processing.
Your cruise price does not include:
- Airfare to and from your hometown to Murmansk
- Helicopter flying time in excess of that offered for the group
- Passport and visa expenses (if required); A RUSSIAN VISA IS REQUIRED FOR THE TRIP. THE VISA MUST BE OBTAINED BY THE CUSTOMER AND IS AT HIS OR HER EXPENSE. Please, contact your local Russian Consulate to learn more about the procedure for obtaining a Russian Visa. PLEASE, NOTE: FOR CERTAIN NATIONALITIES SCHENGEN VISA IS REQUIRED
- State arrival and departure taxes (if levied)
- Meals ashore and supplements in respect of single hotel accommodation (if required)
- Excess luggage charges on international and local flights
- Telecommunication services; laundry, bar and beverage charges aboard the vessel
- Luggage, cancellation insurance (strongly recommended)
- Tips for stewards and other service personnel aboard (at your discretion)
Book your next cruise
Please note: This cruise is sold in AUD
2022 prices reflect Earlybird Savings. To be eligible, you must book and deposit by 31 October 2021.
The itinerary, landings and all other activities during the cruise depend strongly on ice and weather conditions and are subject to the decisions of the Expedition Leader and the Captain of the vessel and may be changed without notice. Encounters with any mentioned wildlife cannot be guaranteed.
Single travellers may request sole use subject to the following single supplements: 1.7 for Standard cabin; 2 for Mini Suite, Junior Suite, Grand Suite, Victory Suite and Arktika Suite.