Svalbard Explorer & High Arctic
DURATION:10 Days/ 9 NightsREGION:ArcticSHIP:Ultramarine
This fascinating expedition provides a taste of everything Spitsbergen has to offer, starting with its largest settlement, Longyearbyen. The largest island of the Svalbard archipelago is known as the “wildlife capital of the Arctic,” and on this stirring voyage, we show you why. A key focus of this 10-day expedition will be to seek out the abundant wildlife that resides here, including walrus, reindeer, and that most iconic of Arctic denizens, the polar bear, in their natural habitat, while marveling at the surreal experience of continuous daylight. Explore the unique Arctic landscape, hike the vast and colorful tundra, learn about the history and geology of this remote wilderness, and join us on a gripping excursion to a faraway, unforgettable land.
This exciting introductory journey to the remote Norwegian island, renowned for its stunning scenery and abundant, varied wildlife, is now available on two ships, each providing a distinct polar experience. Ultramarine, our new, game-changing polar vessel, can take you to remote destinations most other ships can’t reach. Aboard Ultramarine, explore Spitsbergen in brand new ways—taking advantage of the 20 quick-launching Zodiacs, and more outdoor wildlife viewing spaces than other expedition ships its size—to create the Arctic experience perfect for you.
ENQUIRE TODAY FOR PROMOTIONAL FARES!
We have multiple departure dates for this cruise. Select a year and month to view itineraries for alternative departure dates.
Operated by: Quark Expeditions
Launched in 2021, Ultramarine is the newest ship in the Quark Expeditions fleet and is designed to go beyond the familiar in polar exploration, to discover new places, and to immerse you in the best the region has to offer.
Ultramarine features 102 suites across nine categories, including six solo suites with floor-to-ceiling windows and the largest entry-level twin suites of its class. Each suite has been meticulously designed to keep guests inspired by, and connected to, the breathtaking polar landscapes outside.
Equipped with two twin-engine helicopters, Ultramarine offers the most robust portfolio of adventure activities in the industry, the most spacious suites in its category, breathtaking public spaces, and more outdoor wildlife viewing spaces than other expedition ships its size. It also features an innovative mix of sustainability features that exceed industry standards.
With all this and more, Ultramarine is set to deliver the ultimate polar expedition experience.
The following additional options may be added to your cruise.
Every sweep of the paddle as your craft glides through the pristine polar waters creates an incredible soundtrack: the jostle of glacial ice, the lapping of waves against the rocky shore, the perpetual drip from your paddle, the call of seabirds, and the occasional splash as wildlife break the surface of the water. Our Paddle Excursion Program provides sit-on-top, two-person, inflatable kayaks that provide guests with an intimate, water-level experience in unforgettable locations in both the Arctic and Antarctica. These stable, rugged and comfortable crafts are an ideal way to see the polar regions from a different perspective. On-ship, you'll be provided with instruction and equipment including dry suits, personal flotation devices (PFDs), and waterproof gloves. Experienced guides will lead you safely throughout the paddling excursion. Your group will always be escorted by a safety driver in another kayak who will stay close by to provide additional support. Excursions last a minimum of one hour and are offered to participants once per voyage. Each group includes 10 paddlers, 1 guide and 1 one safety Zodiac driver. The wind, weather and water conditions determine the timing and location of Paddling Excursions.
Positioning yourself in the seat of a kayak is one of the most intimate ways travelers can connect with the polar regions—at water level, up close, where you can touch and feel every polar sensation imaginable. The Sea Kayak Program enables a small group of like-minded individuals to forge bonds as they explore fjords, glacial faces or mazes of sea ice. Quark Expeditions Sea Kayak Program is a voyage-length program available in the Arctic, in which kayakers (those who have minimal experience as well as seasoned paddlers) will enjoy the polar regions from a unique perspective. Conditions and logistics permitting, your kayak guide(s) will endeavor to have you paddling as often as possible throughout the voyage. Typically, sea kayakers are shuttled by Zodiac from the ship to an ideal starting point, where the kayak excursion begins. Guests return to the ship by Zodiac at the end of their paddling experience. Some kayak excursions are designed so guests can go ashore and explore. In addition to the kayak guides, a safety driver in a Zodiac will always stay nearby to offer assistance if required. Excursions typically last one and a half to three hours.
Your cruise price includes:
- Leadership throughout your voyage by our experienced Expedition Leaders, including shore landings and other activities
- All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program
- All shore landings per the daily program
- Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
- All meals, snacks, soft drinks and juices on board throughout your voyage (Please inform us of any dietary requirements as far in advance as possible. Unfortunately, the ships’ galleys cannot prepare kosher meals.)
- Select beer and wine during dinner; and coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
- Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and guest speakers as scheduled
- A photographic journal documenting the expedition
- A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for landings and Zodiac cruising excursions
- An official Quark Expeditions® parka to keep
- Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- All luggage handling aboard the ship
- Emergency Evacuation insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $500,000 per person
- Transfers between Longyearbyen town center and port on embarkation and disembarkation day
Your cruise price does not include:
- International airfare
- Arrival and departure transfers in Helsinki
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
- Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
- Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance—strongly recommended
- Excess-baggage fees on international flights
- Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
- Laundry, bar and other personal charges unless specified
- Phone and Internet charges (connectivity may vary by location)
- Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
- Additional overnight accommodation
- Adventure Options not listed in Included Activities
Book your next cruise
Please note: This cruise is sold in AUD
Imagery courtesy of Quark Expeditions, Hans Langerwell, Nicky Souness, Acacia Johnson & David Merron.
The itinerary, landings and all other activities during the cruise depend strongly on ice and weather conditions and are subject to the decisions of the Expedition Leader and the Captain of the vessel and may be changed without notice. Encounters with any mentioned wildlife cannot be guaranteed.
By completing this booking request you acknowledge that you have read and accept both Expedition Cruise Specialists' and Quark Expeditions' terms and conditions.
Single traveller fares available on request.