East Greenland, Scoresby Sund & Aurora Borealis
DURATION:9 Days/ 8 NightsREGION:ArcticSHIP:Janssonius
This 9-day East Greenland and Scoresby Sund expedition crosses the Arctic Circle into the home waters of multiple species of whale. The expedition will spot huge icebergs as it journeys into the largest and deepest fjord system in the world. Along the way the Northern Lights is guiding the way.
You'll cruise aboard the new Janssonius, a 174-passenger expedition ship built to the latest Polar Class 6 code. Enjoy spacious accommodations and onboard amenities, and a flexible range of excursion craft that allow you to explore this incredible destination with maximum flexibility.
Operated by: Oceanwide Expeditions
New itineraries coming soon!
Janssonius will come equipped with a number of advanced systems and features specifically designed for safe, swift, and flexible polar voyages throughout the Arctic, Antarctica, and the sub-Antarctic. She will have a protected indoor Zodiac loading area that can also be used for sea-based activities such as kayaking, and there will be two separate gangways to further facilitate ship-to-shore operations. Her stern and bow thrusters will also enable Janssonius to drift or remain comfortably stationary.
One of the decks will be a dedicated observation lounge complete with a separate lecture room hosting a wide range of engaging, interactive, multilingual lectures and presentations. Numerous cabin categories will also be available on Janssonius: spacious suites, superiors, twins, and quadruple cabins all decorated in a classic mid-century modern style.
Six of the suites will have balconies. There will also be eight superior cabins with balconies, 19 twin deluxe cabins, 14 twin window cabins, 31 twin porthole cabins, two triple porthole cabins, and four quadruple porthole cabins.
The ship will measure 107 metres (350 feet) long, and her beam will provide a width of 17.6 metres (58 feet). She will be powered by two main engines delivering 4,200 kW and enabling speeds of up to 15 knots, the propulsion system will include an adjustable pitch propellor, flexible power management, and a shaft generator as opposed to a diesel-driven generator. This will keep Janssonius at the lowest fuel consumption and carbon dioxide emission possible.
But these won't be the only environmental features of Janssonius. The ship will employ LED interior and exterior lighting, biodegradable paints and lubricants, steam heating that uses a minimum of electricity, and waste heat that will be reused for the production of fresh water. In other words, passengers who sail on Janssonius will experience the polar regions as much as possible while impacting them as little as possible.
The following additional options may be added to your cruise.
Basic kayaking experience is of advantage, but it is not a requirement. Physical fitness is essential. Kayaking is subject to weather and prevailing ice conditions.
Transfers between Reykjavik and Akureyri
Transfer supplement for bus shuttle between Reykjavik and Akureyri (to board the ship) and v.v. (6 hours) USD $220 per person (return)
Your cruise price includes
- 8 night expedition voyage aboard the Janssonius in selected room grade
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
Your cruise price does not include:
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post- land arrangements
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended - SAVE 20% when purchased with your expedition)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- Gratuities at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard - The cruise line recommends $8-10 per passenger per day
- Return road transfers from Reykjavik to the ship. Add USD $220 per person return.
FREE Photography Workshop - When words aren’t enough
Landscapes. Icebergs. Polar bears, whales, or penguins. Describing them to your friends is one thing, showing them is a whole other level. New to photography? We have photo pros on our cruises that can help you build up your basics. A shutterbug expert? Then bring your gear and get ready to wear out your memory cards.