Alpine Peaks of Spitsbergen - Ski & Sail
DURATION:8 Days/ 7 NightsREGION:ArcticSHIP:Noorderlicht
This unique 'Ski & Sail' expedition in Spitsbergen travels aboard the historic sailing vessel Noorderlicht. This beautiful yacht delivers you to the remotest parts of Spitsbergen where you can climb snow covered alpine mountains and ski downhill. The Ski & Sail programme is designed for experienced ski mountaineers who can
master skiing techniques in ascent and descent in challenging snow covered alpine terrain. A typical day will involve ski climbs on mountain tops which are in average 700-850 metre altitude and downhill skiing from there (actual accumulated altitude climbed over the course of a day can exceed 1000 m and more).
We have multiple departure dates for this cruise. Select a year and month to view itineraries for alternative departure dates.
Operated by: Oceanwide Expeditions
The Noorderlicht was originally built in 1910 in Flensburg, Germany as a three-masted schooner. For most of her existence she served as a light-vessel on the Baltic. In 1991 Oceanwide Expeditions purchased the hull and re-rigged and refitted her thoroughly, under the rules of 'Register Holland'. Now, she has a well-balanced two-masted schooner rig and is capable of sailing the seven seas, and is therefore well suited for expedition cruising among small islands of the Arctic. Noorderlicht offers good open deck viewing areas, also when under sail. The two inflatable rubber crafts (zodiacs) enable landing and wildlife viewing opportunities in otherwise inaccessible areas. Whilst not luxurious, Noorderlicht promises an intimate and comfortable experience sailing the waters of the Arctic.
Your cruise price includes:
- Seven night voyage aboard the Noorderlicht
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- AECO fees and governmental taxes
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
Your cruise price does not include:
- Airfares to and from the cruise
- Pre- and post- land arrangements
- Transfers to / from the vessel
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- Gratuities - the cruise line states "The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided)"
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended - SAVE 20% when purchased with your expedition)
- Skiing equipment - expeditioners to bring their own
Book your next cruise
Please note: This cruise is sold in USD
All itineraries are for guidance only. Programs may vary depending on local ice and weather conditions and in order to take advantage of opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is paramount for expedition cruises. Willingness to compromise on comfort is a basic requirement on board of a historic traditional sailing vessel. Important information about the sailing program: the boat is equipped with sails and these will be used in good conditions (open sea, water depth, appropriate wind conditions, time availability). This is not guaranteed. The captain decides whether to use the sails or the engine. There is no claim to one or other propulsion method. If sails are used, they are operated by the crew. Guests follow the safety instructions of the team.
All travel elements which relate to the stay on board of the vessel and/or excursions or programs off ship (such as but not limited to ski outings on land, including zodiac excursions) are for 100% the own risk of the passenger. Expedition Cruise Specialists and/or Oceanwide Expeditions are therefore not liable for any damage, such as but not limited to (bodily) injury, illness and death except for gross negligence. Furthermore, with the consent to participate in the ski mountaineering program each expedition member agrees that there will be no claims for reimbursement for travel days in case the ski program is shortened due to reasons which cannot be influenced by the organisation, such as but not limited to weather, prevailing ice conditions, avalanche threads, polar bears threads ashore, expedition staff injuries etc.
A single supplement of 70% applies for sole use of cabins.