DURATION:12 Days/ 11 NightsREGION:AntarcticaSHIP:Greg Mortimer
Welcome to the ice factory! Thanks to vast ice shelves that calve monstrous tabular icebergs, waters rich in krill and otherworldly landscapes, the Weddell Sea is one of Antarctica's most unique regions. You'll also retrace some of Shackleton's and Nordenskoljd's routes and come face to face with Adelie, gentoo and chinstrap penguins, amongst other marine life. Aurora Expeditions' new ship, Greg Mortimer, is ice-strengthened to take you comfortably between the Weddell Sea and the
Antarctic Peninsula's west coast for the best of both worlds! And, as a Fly/Cruise itinerary, you will only cross the Drake Passage by ship once, ensuring more of your valuable holiday time is spent actually exploring the white continent. New for 2020, on a brand new ship, this outstanding expedition is sure to prove popular, so booking early is srongly recommended.
We have multiple departure dates for this cruise. Select a year and month to view itineraries for alternative departure dates.
Operated by: Aurora Expeditions
Proudly named after Aurora Expeditions' adventurous co-founder, the 104-metre Greg Mortimer ship is their very first, purpose-built expedition vessel. Capable of negotiating the strongest winds and waves, the Greg Mortimer is built to world-class Polar Code 6 standards and was designed in close consultation with expedition specialists, taking advantage of more than 25 years of experience.
The Greg Mortimer accommodates 160 travellers on board, which is limited to just 120 in the polar regions. Not only is the ship bigger to contend with adverse weather conditions, its added creature comforts make for a more enjoyable journey out on the open ocean. The Greg Mortimer remains true to Aurora Expeditions' ethos and focus on multiple landings, flexible itineraries and family atmosphere – just with an improved home base!
Expeditions to the polar regions can face some of the worst Mother Nature can throw at us. However, this won't be problem on the Greg Mortimer with the introduction of the patented X-BOW™, created by Norwegian ship designer ULSTEIN. As one of the leaders in marine engineering, ULSTEIN's X-BOW™ is an inverted bow concept that's designed to alleviate challenging open ocean waves!
The following additional options may be added to your cruise.
The experience of sea kayaking in the humbling wilderness of Antarctica is guaranteed to stir your soul. Paddle between brash ice and icebergs of all shapes and sizes or drift quietly as you watch wildlife unobtrusively, absorbing the majestic scenery. Led by experienced guides, paddling in small groups allows the opportunity to paddle between ice floes, brash ice and icebergs of all shapes and sizes as well as allowing easy and intimate access to beautiful coastlines. Limited numbers apply.
Your cruise price includes:
- Group transfer to hotel from Aurora Expeditions' preferred flight.
- One night pre-voyage hotel accommodation
- Transfer to airport and charter flight from Punta Arenas to King George Island
- Transfer to downtown Ushuaia or airport (post voyage)
- Fully-serviced accommodation in your chosen stateroom
- Daily shore excursions, guided walks, Zodiac cruises
- An experienced team of destination specialists and activity leaders
- An informative and entertaining lecture program by our team of experts
- Daily breakfast, lunch and dinner including house wines, beers and soft drinks, afternoon tea and snacks
- Captain's Welcome and Farewell drinks including four-course dinner, house cocktails, house beer and wine, non-alcoholic beverages
- Pre-dinner drinks including canapes and bar snacks
- Complimentary 3-in-1 polar jacket
- Complimentary use of gumboots
- Complimentary use of fitness centre
- Complimentary access to on board expedition doctor and medical clinic
- Personalised photo book (post voyage)
- Entry fees to historic or tourist sites
- Port, pilotage charges and landing fees
Your cruise price does not include:
- Flights to and from your voyage
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Visa, passport, and vaccination charges
- Travel insurance or emergency evacuation charges - Ask for a quote & SAVE 20% when purchased with your expedition
- Hotels or meals not included in voyage itinerary
- Optional excursions not included in the voyage itinerary
- Optional activity surcharge. Please contact us if you wish to book any optional activities, such as sea kayaking or polar snorkelling
- Any items of a personal nature including: Alcoholic beverages or soft drinks outside of meal times, gratuities, laundry
Book your next cruise
Please note: This cruise is sold in USD
Please note that all Polar itineraries are at the mercy of weather conditions and not all landings are guaranteed. These itineraries are flexible and will change voyage to voyage, allowing the best chance to make the most of surprising wildlife displays and unexpected opportunities.
Single occupancy is 1.7 times the twin share price. No single travel fees apply if you are willing to share your cabin (twin and triple cabins only).