Solar Eclipse in Antarctica, South Georgia & Falklands
DURATION:20 Days/ 19 NightsREGION:AntarcticaSHIP:Hondius
Don’t miss the chance to see one of Earth’s most wondrous cosmic events in one of Earth’s most fantastic places! An Antarctica viewing of the total solar eclipse is expected December 4, 2021. Though total solar eclipses occur roughly every 18 months, they can only be properly seen along a few key path locations. And what better location than one of the wildest and least-known places on the planet?
To witness the total eclipse, the new 174-passenger Hondius will be positioned in the centre of the moon shadow, at the edge of the sea ice in the Weddell Sea, between the South Orkneys and South Georgia.The full voyage lasts 19 nights, 20 days, and will visit the Falklands, South Georgia, and the Antarctic Peninsula. This expedition is sure to be popular - book early to avoid disappointment.
TAKE OFF UP TO USD $1,000 per person. For a limited time, take off up to USD $1,000.00 off our listed prices. Enquire for details!
We have multiple departure dates for this cruise. Select a year and month to view itineraries for alternative departure dates.
Operated by: Oceanwide Expeditions
Launched in mid 2019, the 174-passenger Hondius is the latest addition to the Oceanwide Expeditions fleet of polar ships. Engineered for flexibility above all else, Hondius is optimised for maximum engagement with nature, wildlife, and outdoor activities – because a dynamic environment demands a dynamic vessel, and there is no environment more dynamic than the polar regions. The agility of the Hondius design gives you this opportunity, delivering you to shore as fast as possible so you can enjoy these spectacular landscapes as much as possible.
FORTIFIED POLAR CLASS 6 TECHNOLOGY
Being flexible and fast does not make Hondius frail: It is one of the first civilian vessels in the world to receive a Polar Class 6 notation, the most advanced category of polar cruise ship to date. When you set foot on Hondius, you are indeed choosing the best of modern marine science.
Your cruise price includes
- 19 night expedition voyage aboard the Hondius in selected room grade
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
- Luggage transfer from pick-up point to the vessel on the day of embarkation, in Ushuaia
- Pre-scheduled group transfer from the vessel to the airport in Ushuaia (directly after disembarkation)
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
Your cruise price does not include:
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post- land arrangements
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended - SAVE 20% when purchased with your expedition)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- Gratuities at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard - The cruise line recommends $8-10 per passenger per day
Book your next cruise
Please note: This cruise is sold in USD
EARLYBIRD SAVINGS - For a limited time reserve your place on this voyage and SAVE UP TO USD $1,000 per person off published prices. Enquire for details.
The itinerary described is for guidance only. Programmes may vary depending on local ice and weather conditions, the availability of landing sites and opportunities to see wildlife. Solar eclipse viewing subject to cloud conditions on the day. The final itinerary will be determined by the Expedition Leader on board. Flexibility is paramount for expedition cruises.
You must be in good general health and you should be able to walk several hours per day. The expedition is ship-based and physically not very demanding. Although as much time as possible is spent ashore, travellers are welcome to remain aboard the ship if they like. To join most excursions, travellers must be able to get up and down the steep gangway from the ship to the water level to board the Zodiacs. Staff will assist travellers in and out of the boats. This will become progressively easier with practice. Ashore it can be slippery and rocky. You are travelling in remote areas without access to sophisticated medical facilities, so you must not join this expedition if you have a life-threatening condition, or need daily medical treatment.
By completing this booking request you acknowledge that you have read and accept Expedition Cruise Specialists' and Oceanwide Expeditions' terms and conditions.
A single supplement of 70% applies for sole use of cabins.