DURATION:23 Days/ 22 NightsREGION:AntarcticaSHIP:Greg Mortimer
If you only have one chance to visit Antarctica in your lifetime, this voyage is for you. On this epic journey aboard the new, state-of-the-art Greg Mortimer you will experience the wonders of Antarctica including crossing south of the Antarctic Circle to venture where few travellers have been. In South Georgia, photograph the staggeringly impressive jagged mountain vistas and walk through some of the world’s largest king penguin colonies. Mid to late summer in the Antarctic is action-
packed. Penguins nest, and voraciously hungry chicks grow quickly as their parents work hard feeding them. The waters are teeming with whales feasting on krill, killer whales hunt in packs, while elephant seal beach masters are busy guarding their harems, mating, and pups are weaned. In the Falkland Islands explore historic Stanley town and wildlife-packed Sealion Island. This journey is limited to just 120 expeditioners.
Operated by: Aurora Expeditions
Proudly named after Aurora Expeditions' adventurous co-founder, the 104-metre Greg Mortimer ship is their very first, purpose-built expedition vessel. Capable of negotiating the strongest winds and waves, the Greg Mortimer is built to world-class Polar Code 6 standards and was designed in close consultation with expedition specialists, taking advantage of more than 25 years of experience.
The Greg Mortimer accommodates 160 travellers on board, which is limited to just 120 in the polar regions. Not only is the ship bigger to contend with adverse weather conditions, its added creature comforts make for a more enjoyable journey out on the open ocean. The Greg Mortimer remains true to Aurora Expeditions' ethos and focus on multiple landings, flexible itineraries and family atmosphere – just with an improved home base!
Expeditions to the polar regions can face some of the worst Mother Nature can throw at us. However, this won't be problem on the Greg Mortimer with the introduction of the patented X-BOW™, created by Norwegian ship designer ULSTEIN. As one of the leaders in marine engineering, ULSTEIN's X-BOW™ is an inverted bow concept that's designed to alleviate challenging open ocean waves!
The following additional options may be added to your cruise.
Kayaking in the far-flung corners of the world is an experience guaranteed to refresh your soul. Paddling in small groups, you'll glide between ice floes, brash ice and icebergs dotted with wildlife. Limited to 20 participants.
No experience needed! This is your chance to don a dry-suit and take the ultimate plunge into the icy waters of Antarctica for an up-close underwater experience. Not for the faint-hearted!
Your cruise price includes:
- One night accommodation in Ushuaia pre voyage
- Accommodation aboard Greg Mortimer during the voyage
- All meals, snacks, tea and coffee during the voyage
- All shore excursions and Zodiac (inflatable boat) cruises
- Educational lectures and guiding services from our expert team
- Access to our on board doctor and basic medical services
- Free gumboot hire during the voyage
- Daily cabin service
- An Aurora Expeditions' multi-purpose waterproof jacket
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Professionally produced voyage journal (one per booking)
- Port taxes and charges
- All entry fees to historic landings sites
Your cruise price does not include:
- International or domestic flights to or from ship, unless specified
- Transfers not mentioned in the itinerary
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Visa, passport, and vaccination charges
- Travel insurance (highly recommended - SAVE 25% on SureSave insurance when purchased with your expedition*)
- Hotels and meals not included in itinerary
- Optional excursions not included in the itinerary
- Optional activity surcharge. Please contact us if you wish to book any optional activities, such as sea kayaking
- All items of a personal nature including but not limited to: alcoholic beverages and soft drinks, laundry services, personal clothing, medical expenses, gratuities, and email or phone charges