DURATION:8 Days/ 7 NightsREGION:AntarcticaSHIP:Magellan Explorer
This Air-Cruise expedition is ideal for those short on time, or for those who want to avoid the sometimes rugged crossing of the legendary Drake Passage. Flying over Cape Horn and the mythical waters of the Drake Passage you will enjoy extra time to explore one of the most spectacular places on earth, the coldest, highest, windiest, driest, and remotest continent – Antarctica.
Once you arrive at King George Island you will board the brand new, Polar Class 6 Magellan Explorer and savour four full days exploring the highlights of the Antarctic Peninsula. See the iconic sights, check out wildlife from the zodiacs and even set foot upon the ice, a truly memorable experience. Then board your return flight to Punta Arenas where the expedition concludes.
We have multiple departure dates for this cruise. Select a year and month to view itineraries for alternative departure dates.
Operated by: Antarctica21
Launched in late 2019, the Polar Class 6 m/v Magellan Explorer is a state-of-the-art expedition ship accommodating no more than 100 travellers on unique 'Air Cruises' to Antarctica.
Guests may choose from seven categories of stylish accommodation, including dedicated single cabins. Most cabins and suites offer private balconies and two single beds that can also be configured as one king-size bed. Ranging is size from 20 to 40 square metres, these spacious accommodations also feature a wardrobe, individually controlled heating system, a sitting area and a private en suite with shower.
Highlights of Magellan Explorer include a glass-enclosed observation lounge and presentation room with latest-technology audio-visual equipment, a beautifully-appointed dining room, well-stocked bar, comfortable library, meeting room, gym, sauna, and medical clinic. The forward-facing observation deck leads to the bow of the ship, which is accessible to guests to offer proximity to marine wildlife. Magellan Explorer has a fleet of 10 Zodiac inflatables that are used for excursions and are well-suited for disembarking and wildlife watching.
The following additional options may be added to your cruise.
See Antarctica from the unique vantage point of a sea kayak. Join a small group of participants and paddle in Antarctica under the leadership of an experienced Kayak Master. Reservation recommended.
Hiking & Snowshoeing
Gain greater mobility and see more of the Antarctic landscape with our hiking and snowshoeing program. Book on board. Price: $85 USD per person for each excursion.
Your cruise price includes:
- Group transfers airport to hotel on Day 1
- Overnight accommodation with breakfast in Punta Arenas at the Cabo de Hornos Hotel or similar, with a welcome dinner including drinks on Day 1
- Flight from Punta Arenas to Frei Station on King George Island and/or vice versa as indicated in the program corresponding to each voyage
- Loan of waterproof boots for landing in Antarctica
- Ship cruise along the Antarctic Peninsula as indicated in the program corresponding to each voyage
- Daily buffet breakfast and lunch on board ship offering a wide choice of dishes
- Daily served dinner on board ship offering a choice of three main courses
- Wine, beer, juice, and soft drinks served with lunch and dinner on board ship
- Coffee, tea, chocolate, cappuccino, water and snacks on board ship throughout the expedition
- All guided shore excursions
- Lectures and entertainment on board
- Comprehensive pre- and post-voyage information material
- Group transfers airport/hotel on the Day of the Scheduled Return Flight from Antarctica, and group transfers hotel/airport on last day of the air-cruise.
Your cruise price does not include:
- Accommodation, meals, excursions and transfers other than those included in the itinerary and the Contingency Plan corresponding to each voyage. Specifically, dinner in Punta Arenas upon return from Antarctica is not included.
- Beverages purchased at the ship’s bar (outside of meal times)
- Mandatory personal travel insurance (Ask us for a quote today)
- Extra onboard expenses (communication, laundry, souvenirs, etc.)
- Visas for Chile and/or Argentina, passport expenses, and any arrival and/or departure tax, if applicable.
Book your next cruise
Please note: This cruise is sold in USD
Every effort will be made to adhere to the planned program. However, with this type of adventurous travel to Antarctica, changes to the itinerary may occur due to severe
and unpredictable weather. We need to emphasise the fact that weather conditions are unpredictable and that safety is always the paramount concern on any Antarctic voyage. For this reason the Antarctica21 (the operator of the Magellan Explorer) reserves the right to change the itinerary described due to weather conditions or other factors beyond Antarctica21’s control without consulting the participants.
The day-by-day itinerary is a sampling of the places intended to be visited, conditions permitting. Changes may be made due to weather, ice and sea conditions or any other event affecting the operation of the ship.
By completing this booking request you acknowledge that you have read and accept both Expedition Cruise Specialists' and Antarctica21's terms and conditions.
Single travellers are accommodated in a Single Veranda Cabin at the specified sole use price.
DRAKE PASSAGE FLIGHTS
Cross the Drake Passage aboard a BAE-146 aircraft manufactured in the United Kingdom by British Aerospace (which later became part of BAE Systems). It is a high-wing aircraft with very short runway requirements, which makes it particularly suited for landing and take-off in Antarctica. The aircraft is expertly operated by Aerovías DAP, which has more than 20 years of experience flying in Patagonia and Antarctica.
The maximum weight allowed on the flights to and from Antarctica is 20 kg (44 Lb.) per passenger, including hand luggage.
Excess luggage will be kept in storage in Punta Arenas and will be returned to travellers upon their return from Antarctica. The baggage weight limit is a technical requirement imposed by the flight operation. Unfortunately, it is not possible to purchase extra allowance.