In the Wake of the Makassans
DURATION:16 Days/ 15 NightsREGION:AsiaSHIP:Coral Adventurer
SPECIAL OFFERS ON THIS EXPEDITION: Download the flyer
From the 16th century, and possibly even earlier, Makassan trepangers began to venture down from their homeland in South Sulawesi. Travelling through the Flores and Savu seas, they arrived at the shores of Australia's Kimberley and Arnhem Land. Fishing for sea cucumber, the Makassans encountered the peoples of northern Australia and left an impact on the cultures that survive to this day. The Yolngu people of Arnhem Land in particular recount stories of the Makassan visitors and images of their boats are recorded in rock art.
During this incredible voyage, the new Coral Adventurer will make her own journey from Darwin up through the straits of the Indonesian archipelago on her way to Makassar. Travellers will explore the undiscovered paradise of Indonesia’s less-visited islands. Traditional lifestyles continue in regions of astounding beauty, and this journey takes you into the heart of it all. Encounter traditional cultures from Pulau Alor, to Lamalera, Sagori, Torajaland and Tana Beru. Experience the dramatic beauty of Indonesia at Flores, Komodo, and Takabonerate. This journey through the archipelago is a feast for the senses.
Operated by: Coral Expeditions
Considered the 'world's most technologically-advanced tropical expedition ship', the latest addition to the Coral Expeditions fleet accommodates a maximum of just 120 guests in 60 spacious staterooms and suites, more than half featuring a private balcony. Care has been taken with the design of the ship to preserve Coral Expeditions’ traditionally relaxed and intimate onboard atmosphere. She is Australian flagged and crewed and conforms to the highest standards of build quality, operational redundancy, environmental compliance, and safety. Design features include spacious communal areas, a light-filled lecture room, open seat dining room, open bridge policy and a flexible fleet of excursion tenders that allow access to even the most hard to reach locations.
Coral Adventurer joins the Coral Expeditions fleet exploring the Kimberley region, Cape York and Arnhem Land (The Top of Australia), Papua New Guinea, the Spice Islands, Indonesia and the South Pacific.
The following additional options may be added to your cruise.
Charter Flight Makassar to Darwin
SPECIAL OFFER: FREE OF CHARGE - Add a charter flight from Makassar back to Darwin at the conclusion of your voyage. Normally $850 per person.
Your cruise price includes:
- Accommodation in selected room grade for 13 nights
- 1 night pre-cruise accommodation in Darwin
- 1 night accommodation in Sulawesi
- All meals
- House beer and wine during lunch and dinner service
- 24 hour soft drinks, tea and barista-style coffee
- Captain’s welcome and farewell drinks
- Access to islands, marine and national parks
- Guided tours on Xplorer expedition vessel, zodiacs, glass-bottom boat and kayaks
- Touring as described in each itinerary
- Services of expedition staff and lecturers including briefings and knowledge-sharing sessions
- Port taxes and government charges imposed by government authorities
Your cruise price does not include:
- Pre and post flights, transfers and hotels
- Optional charter flight from Makassar to Darwin
- Entry visas / travel permits
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended - Save 25% off SureSave Insurance when purchased with your cruise)
- Items of a personal nature including but not limited to phone and internet communications and bar charges (outside of the included drinks package as highlighted), laundry charges and souvenir purchases]
- Tipping is not required aboard Coral Adventurer