North Spitsbergen - 82 Degrees North
DURATION:8 Days/ 7 NightsREGION:ArcticSHIP:Ortelius
Board the classic Ortelius in Longyearbyen to travel to the far north of Spitsbergen, close to the 82nd parallel. Take in the fantastically beautiful landscapes including fjords and glaciers, spot thousands of seabirds, and of course the star of the show,
the polar bear. Travel with an expert expedition team to discover hard to reach locations aboard an ice-strengthened expedition ship that accommodates just 116 travellers.
We have multiple departure dates for this cruise. Select a year and month to view itineraries for alternative departure dates.
Operated by: Oceanwide Expeditions
Ortelius was built in Gdynia, Poland in 1989 and served as a special purpose vessel for the Russian Academy of Science. She is an ice-strengthened small ship (rated to the equivalent of 1A; the highest ice rating) designed for polar expedition cruises in the Arctic and Antarctica. Limited to no more than 116 passengers and 53 cabins, her size ensures a flexible polar experience with maximum wildlife opportunities. Ortelius carries ten high-powered zodiacs for landings and exploration. A $1.5 million cabin reconfiguration in 2014 (Deck 5) and 2016 (Deck 4) completed the vessel’s refurbishment program, bringing Ortelius to an upscale hotel standard. The refurbishment featured brand new furnishing including beds, wardrobes, desks and chairs. The cabins and corridors feature new carpets, ceilings, piping and wallpaper.
Your cruise price includes:
- 7 night North Spitsbergen voyage aboard the Ortelius
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- Transfer and baggage handling between ship and in Longyearbyen post cruise
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- AECO fees and governmental taxes
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
Your cruise price does not include:
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post- land arrangements
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended - SAVE 25% off SureSave Insurance when purchased with your expedition)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- Gratuities at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard - The cruise line recommends $8-10 per passenger per day
Book your next cruise
Please note: This cruise is sold in USD
The described itinerary is for guidance only. Programmes may vary depending on local ice and weather conditions, the availability of landing sites and opportunities to see wildlife. The final itinerary will be determined by the Expedition Leader on board. Flexibility is paramount for expedition cruises.
You must be in good general health and you should be able to walk several hours per day. The expedition is ship-based and physically not very demanding. Although as much time as possible is spent ashore, travellers are welcome to remain aboard the ship if they like. To join most excursions, travellers must be able to get up and down the steep gangway from the ship to the water level to board the Zodiacs. Staff will assist travellers in and out of the boats. This will become progressively easier with practice. Ashore it can be slippery and rocky. You are travelling in remote areas without access to sophisticated medical facilities, so you must not join this expedition if you have a life-threatening condition, or need daily medical treatment.
By completing this booking request you acknowledge that you have read and accept Expedition Cruise Specialists' and Oceanwide Expeditions' terms and conditions.
A single supplement of 70% applies for sole use of cabins.