DURATION:11 Days/ 10 NightsREGION:ArcticSHIP:Greg Mortimer
Revel in the diversity of the Svalbard Island and sail into the kingdom of the polar bear. Explore the coastline, with no open sea crossings, against a backdrop of spectacular glacier covered peaks. Discover deep fjords in the west; mysterious, fossil-rich desert plains in the east; and best of all, seals and whales in the Arctic pack ice. This voyage offers the chance for seeing reindeers and polar bears,
and features wildflower walks across sweeping tundra, trapper camps and historic sites. On foot and by Zodiac, visit abandoned whaling settlements, search for walrus, Arctic fox and reindeer and observe in millions of migratory birds, including little auks, guillemots and puffin.
Operated by: Aurora Expeditions
Proudly named after Aurora Expeditions' adventurous co-founder, the 104-metre Greg Mortimer ship is their very first, purpose-built expedition vessel. Capable of negotiating the strongest winds and waves, the Greg Mortimer is built to world-class Polar Code 6 standards and was designed in close consultation with expedition specialists, taking advantage of more than 25 years of experience.
The Greg Mortimer accommodates 160 travellers on board, which is limited to just 120 in the polar regions. Not only is the ship bigger to contend with adverse weather conditions, its added creature comforts make for a more enjoyable journey out on the open ocean. The Greg Mortimer remains true to Aurora Expeditions' ethos and focus on multiple landings, flexible itineraries and family atmosphere – just with an improved home base!
Expeditions to the polar regions can face some of the worst Mother Nature can throw at us. However, this won't be problem on the Greg Mortimer with the introduction of the patented X-BOW™, created by Norwegian ship designer ULSTEIN. As one of the leaders in marine engineering, ULSTEIN's X-BOW™ is an inverted bow concept that's designed to alleviate challenging open ocean waves!
The following additional options may be added to your cruise.
Kayaking in the far-flung corners of the world is an experience guaranteed to refresh your soul. Paddling in small groups, glide between ice floes, brash ice and icebergs dotted with wildlife.
Go beyond the average adventure and delve deep into the waters of the Arctic exploring dive sites where no one has gone before. Available to experienced dry-suit divers only.
Aurora Expeditions' adventure activity. This is your chance to don a dry-suit and take the ultimate plunge into the icy waters of the Arctic for an up-close underwater experience. Not for the faint-hearted!
Your cruise price includes:
- Group transfer to and from airport to Greg Mortimer in Longyearbyen
- Group sightseeing tour in Longyearbyen on arrival (pre-voyage)
- Accommodation during the voyage onboard Greg Mortimer
- All meals, snacks, tea and coffee during the voyage
- All shore excursions and Zodiac (inflatable boat) cruises
- Educational lectures and guiding services from the expert team
- Complimentary custom-designed polar expedition jacket
- Loan of gumboots during the voyage
- Daily cabin service
- Comprehensive pre-departure information and briefings
- Professionally-produced hard back voyage log
- Medical services on board
- Port taxes and charges
- All entry fees to historic landings sites
Your cruise price does not include:
- Air transport to and from the ship
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Transfers not mentioned in the itinerary
- Visa, passport, and vaccination charges
- Travel Insurance or emergency evacuation charges (highly recommended - ask us for a quote today)
- Hotels and meals not included in voyage itinerary
- Optional excursions not included in the voyage itinerary
- Optional activity surcharge. Please contact us if you wish to book any optional activities, such as sea kayaking or polar snorkelling
- All items of a personal nature including but not limited to: alcoholic beverages and soft drinks, laundry services, personal clothing, medical expenses, gratuities, and email or phone charges