DURATION:11 Days/ 10 NightsREGION:ArcticSHIP:Polar Pioneer
Revel in the diversity of the Svalbard Island and sail into the kingdom of the polar bear. Explore the coastline, with no open sea crossings, against a backdrop of spectacular glacier covered peaks. Discover deep fjords in the west; mysterious, fossil-rich desert plains in the east; and best of all, seals and whales in the Arctic pack ice. This voyage offers th chance for seeing reindeers and polar bears,
and features wildflower walks across sweeping tundra, trapper camps and historic sites. On foot and by Zodiac, visit abandoned whaling settlements, search for walrus, Arctic fox and reindeer and observe in millions of migratory birds, including little auks, guillemots and puffin.
We have multiple departure dates for this cruise. Select a year and month to view itineraries for alternative departure dates.
Operated by: Aurora Expeditions
Polar Pioneer is one of the most popular style of vessels currently used in Antarctica and the Arctic. Originally built as an ice-strengthened research vessel in Finland in 1982, she was refurbished in 2000 and converted into a passenger ship for expeditions to the Polar Regions.
Polar Pioneer’s excellent reputation for polar expedition cruising is due to her strength, manoeuvrability and size. She is small and nimble, which means she can sail up close to landing sites and venture where other, larger ships can’t. Carrying just 54 passengers, she offers you a far more personal and intimate experience of the destination.
The following additional options may be added to your cruise.
Kayaking in the far-flung corners of the world is an experience guaranteed to refresh your soul. Paddling in small groups, glide between ice floes, brash ice and icebergs dotted with wildlife.
Go beyond the average adventure and delve deep into the waters of the Arctic exploring dive sites where no one has gone before. Available to experienced dry-suit divers only.
Aurora Expeditions' adventure activity. This is your chance to don a dry-suit and take the ultimate plunge into the icy waters of the Arctic for an up-close underwater experience. Not for the faint-hearted!
Your cruise price includes:
- Group transfer to and from airport to Polar Pioneer in Longyearbyen
- Group sightseeing tour in Longyearbyen on arrival (pre-voyage)
- Accommodation during the voyage onboard Polar Pioneer
- All meals, snacks, tea and coffee during the voyage
- All shore excursions and Zodiac (inflatable boat) cruises
- Educational lectures and guiding services from the expert team
- Complimentary custom-designed polar expedition jacket
- Loan of gumboots during the voyage
- Daily cabin service
- Comprehensive pre-departure information and briefings
- Professionally-produced hard back voyage log
- Medical services on board
- Port taxes and charges
- All entry fees to historic landings sites
Your cruise price does not include:
- Air transport to and from the ship
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Transfers not mentioned in the itinerary
- Visa, passport, and vaccination charges
- Travel Insurance or emergency evacuation charges (highly recommended - ask us for a quote today)
- Hotels and meals not included in voyage itinerary
- Optional excursions not included in the voyage itinerary
- Optional activity surcharge. Please contact us if you wish to book any optional activities, such as sea kayaking or polar snorkelling
- All items of a personal nature including but not limited to: alcoholic beverages and soft drinks, laundry services, personal clothing, medical expenses, gratuities, and email or phone charges
Book your next cruise
Please note: This cruise is sold in AUD
Please note that all Polar itineraries are at the mercy of weather conditions and not all landings are guaranteed. These itineraries are flexible and will change voyage to voyage, allowing the best chance to make the most of surprising wildlife displays and unexpected opportunities.
Single occupancy is 1.7 times the twin share price. No single travel fees apply if you are willing to share your cabin (twin and triple cabins only).