North Norway Whale Safari & Aurora Borealis
DURATION:8 Days/ 7 NightsREGION:ArcticSHIP:Noorderlicht
Noorderlicht's Whale Safari voyages take place in the Arctic winter, when the days are short in Northern Norway. Whale watching (Orcas) is highly dependent on herring cycles in the area. Voyages will be adapted by the Expedition Leader according to best chances to see whales. Norway has a spectacular coastline, its fjords and mountains are renowned for their beauty. In the far north, about 350 kilometres north of the Arctic Circle, lays the island of Kvaløya, the whale island. In early winter enormous
schools of Herring from the Barents Sea come together here in the fjords, attracting large numbers of whales to gorge themselves. On an exploratory voyage in 2015 about 100 Orcas and 60 Humpback Whales were seen in one single fjord at Kvaløya. Whilst this expedition will be dedicated to meeting these giants of the sea, there will also be ample time to discover the beautiful coastal scenery of Norway, and of course the Northern Lights.
We have multiple departure dates for this cruise. Select a year and month to view itineraries for alternative departure dates.
Operated by: Oceanwide Expeditions
The Noorderlicht was originally built in 1910 in Flensburg, Germany as a three-masted schooner. For most of her existence she served as a light-vessel on the Baltic. In 1991 Oceanwide Expeditions purchased the hull and re-rigged and refitted her thoroughly, under the rules of 'Register Holland'. Now, she has a well-balanced two-masted schooner rig and is capable of sailing the seven seas, and is therefore well suited for expedition cruising among small islands of the Arctic. Noorderlicht offers good open deck viewing areas, also when under sail. The two inflatable rubber crafts (zodiacs) enable landing and wildlife viewing opportunities in otherwise inaccessible areas. Whilst not luxurious, Noorderlicht promises an intimate and comfortable experience sailing the waters of the Arctic.
Your cruise price includes:
- Seven night voyage aboard the Noorderlicht
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- AECO fees and governmental taxes
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
Your cruise price does not include:
- Airfares to and from the cruise
- Pre- and post- land arrangements
- Transfers to / from the vessel
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- Gratuities - the cruise line states "The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided)"
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended - SAVE 20% when purchased with your expedition)
Book your next cruise
Please note: This cruise is sold in USD
All itineraries are for guidance only. Programs may vary depending on local ice and weather conditions and in order to take advantage of opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is paramount for expedition cruises. Willingness to compromise on comfort is a basic requirement on board of a historic traditional sailing vessel. Important information about the sailing program: the boat is equipped with sails and these will be used in good conditions (open sea, water depth, appropriate wind conditions, time availability). This is not guaranteed. The captain decides whether to use the sails or the engine. There is no claim to one or other propulsion method. If sails are used, they are operated by the crew. Guests follow the safety instructions of the team.
A single supplement of 70% applies for sole use of cabins.