Franz Josef Land Explorer
DURATION:15 Days/ 14 NightsREGION:ArcticSHIP:Greg Mortimer
Experience a rare chance to discover the wondrous islands of Franz Josef Land on our inaugural Franz Josef Land voyage. From Murmansk, cross the Barents Sea to a world few have seen. Enter the Russian Arctic National Park and watch for polar bears, whales, walrus and seals. Enjoy long tundra walks and geological oddities. Get up close to spectacular bird cliffs and visit fascinating historic huts of explorers like Fridtjof Nansen.
Voyage passenger capacity (FJL002G, FJL003G): 100 landing passengers plus 16 kayakers; maximum of 116 passengers on board.
In true expedition style we encourage exploration and adventure, offering flexibility in challenging environments in a way that puts you among the action to see and do as much as possible. This itinerary is only a guide and subject to change due to ice and weather conditions.
We have multiple departure dates for this cruise. Select a year and month to view itineraries for alternative departure dates.
Operated by: Aurora Expeditions
Proudly named after Aurora Expeditions' adventurous co-founder, the 104-metre Greg Mortimer ship is their very first, purpose-built expedition vessel. Capable of negotiating the strongest winds and waves, the Greg Mortimer is built to world-class Polar Code 6 standards and was designed in close consultation with expedition specialists, taking advantage of more than 25 years of experience.
The Greg Mortimer accommodates 160 travellers on board, which is limited to just 120 in the polar regions. Not only is the ship bigger to contend with adverse weather conditions, its added creature comforts make for a more enjoyable journey out on the open ocean. The Greg Mortimer remains true to Aurora Expeditions' ethos and focus on multiple landings, flexible itineraries and family atmosphere – just with an improved home base!
Expeditions to the polar regions can face some of the worst Mother Nature can throw at us. However, this won't be problem on the Greg Mortimer with the introduction of the patented X-BOW™, created by Norwegian ship designer ULSTEIN. As one of the leaders in marine engineering, ULSTEIN's X-BOW™ is an inverted bow concept that's designed to alleviate challenging open ocean waves!
The following additional options may be added to your cruise.
The experience of sea kayaking in the humbling wilderness of Franz Josef Land is guaranteed to stir your soul. Paddle between brash ice and icebergs of all shapes and sizes or drift quietly as you watch wildlife unobtrusively, absorbing the majestic scenery. Led by experienced guides, paddling in small groups allows the opportunity to paddle between ice floes, brash ice and icebergs of all shapes and sizes as well as allowing easy and intimate access to beautiful coastlines. Limited numbers apply.
All expeditions aboard Greg Mortimer offer fantastic photography experiences, and on this expedition specialised photography programs and workshops will be available at no additional charge. Catering to both amateurs and the more experienced photographers, the onboard team of photography guides deliver photography workshops and one-on-one instruction from the deck or Zodiacs and during landings. Expeditions are strictly limited to 54 passengers offering you an intimate, personal experience and more opportunities to get out amongst the nature and wildlife.
Your cruise price includes:
- Fully-serviced accommodation in your chosen stateroom
- Daily shore excursions, guided walks, Zodiac cruises
- An experienced team of destination specialists and activity leaders
- An informative and entertaining lecture program by our team of experts
- Daily breakfast, lunch and dinner including house wines, beers and soft drinks, afternoon tea and snacks
- Captain's Welcome and Farewell drinks including four-course dinner, house cocktails, house beer and wine, non-alcoholic beverages
- Pre-dinner drinks including canapes and bar snacks
- Complimentary 3-in-1 polar jacket
- Complimentary use of gumboots
- Complimentary use of fitness centre
- Complimentary access to on board expedition doctor and medical clinic
- Personalised photo book (post voyage)
- Entry fees to historic or tourist sites
- Port, pilotage charges and landing fees
Your cruise price does not include:
- Flights to and from your voyage
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Visa, passport, and vaccination charges
- Travel insurance or emergency evacuation charges
- Hotels or meals not included in voyage itinerary
- Optional excursions not included in the voyage itinerary
- Optional activity surcharge. Please contact us if you wish to book any optional activities, such as sea kayaking or polar snorkelling
- Any items of a personal nature including: Alcoholic beverages or soft drinks outside of meal times, gratuities, laundry
Book your next cruise
Please note: This cruise is sold in AUD
Please note that all Polar itineraries are at the mercy of weather conditions and not all landings are guaranteed. These itineraries are flexible and will change voyage to voyage, allowing the best chance to make the most of surprising wildlife displays and unexpected opportunities.
Single occupancy is 1.7 times the twin share price. No single travel fees apply if you are willing to share your cabin (twin and triple cabins only).