Arctic Summer in North Spitsbergen
DURATION:12 Days/ 11 NightsREGION:ArcticSHIP:Noorderlicht
Take a sailing expedition around Spitsbergen aboard the classic schooner Noorderlicht. The long Arctic summer days guarantee ample time to explore the most remote and wildlife-rich places in all of Spitsbergen. From Longyearbyen, sailing northwards visit Magdalenafjord, one of the most beautiful
places on Spitsbergen, with many impressive glacier faces. View the remains of 17th century English whaling activities. Throughout the expedition you will have the opportunity to seek out a large array of Arctic wildlife, from Arctic Fox to large seabird colonies particularly noteworthy for their Little Auk and of course the king of the Arctic, the polar bear.
We have multiple departure dates for this cruise. Select a year and month to view itineraries for alternative departure dates.
Operated by: Oceanwide Expeditions
The Noorderlicht was originally built in 1910 in Flensburg, Germany as a three-masted schooner. For most of her existence she served as a light-vessel on the Baltic. In 1991 Oceanwide Expeditions purchased the hull and re-rigged and refitted her thoroughly, under the rules of 'Register Holland'. Now, she has a well-balanced two-masted schooner rig and is capable of sailing the seven seas, and is therefore well suited for expedition cruising among small islands of the Arctic. Noorderlicht offers good open deck viewing areas, also when under sail. The two inflatable rubber crafts (zodiacs) enable landing and wildlife viewing opportunities in otherwise inaccessible areas. Whilst not luxurious, Noorderlicht promises an intimate and comfortable experience sailing the waters of the Arctic.
Your cruise price includes:
- Eleven night voyage aboard the Noorderlicht
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- AECO fees and governmental taxes
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
Your cruise price does not include:
- Airfares to and from the cruise
- Pre- and post- land arrangements
- Transfers to / from the vessel
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- Gratuities - the cruise line states "The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided)"
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended - SAVE 20% when purchased with your expedition)
Book your next cruise
Please note: This cruise is sold in USD
All itineraries are for guidance only. Programs may vary depending on local ice and weather conditions and in order to take advantage of opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is paramount for expedition cruises. Willingness to compromise on comfort is a basic requirement on board of a historic traditional sailing vessel. Important information about the sailing program: the boat is equipped with sails and these will be used in good conditions (open sea, water depth, appropriate wind conditions, time availability). This is not guaranteed. The captain decides whether to use the sails or the engine. There is no claim to one or other propulsion method. If sails are used, they are operated by the crew. Guests follow the safety instructions of the team.
A single supplement of 70% applies for sole use of cabins.