Antarctica Deep South
DURATION:12 Days/ 11 NightsREGION:AntarcticaSHIP:Akademik Ioffe / Akademik Sergey Vavilov
This special journey goes further south than at any other time in the season. By flying to King George Island in Antarctica at the start of the voyage, save two days on the ocean crossing. The time saved by flying south allows for a more substantial exploration below the Antarctic Circle. Witness stunning landscapes, sizable Adelie penguin rookeries and large flat-topped tabular icebergs that drift north from the Bellingshausen Sea.
Navigate the glaciated coastline of the Antarctic Peninsula, passing through the Argentine Fish and Yalour Island archipelagos to the Gerlache Strait region. There are several important scientific stations and significant historic sites to explore. Aim to cross 66 degrees, 33 minutes south latitude, which officially marks the position of the Antarctic Circle on the global map. With favourable weather and ice conditions it may be possible to reach Marguerite Bay.
Akademik Ioffe / Akademik Sergey Vavilov
Operated by: One Ocean Expeditions
Akademiks Ioffe and Sergey Vavilov are purpose built oceanographic vessels featuring complex internal stabilisers and powerful engines and accommodate just 96 guests. Combined with multi-pitch propulsion and bow and stern thrusters these vessels offer exceptional maneuverability. Expansive observation decks featuring 360 degree views make them the perfect platform for operation in Antarctica and the High Arctic.
Although built as research vessels, both ships offer modern conveniences, are comfortable, safe and ice strengthened (rated Lloyds 1A). From small group sessions to briefings for all expeditioners, there are public spaces onboard ideally suited for each and every need.
A separate lounge and bar, as well as a library provide ideal places to sit and relax or catch up on some reading. A selection of movies and documentaries can also be watched in the lounge.
The sumptuous meals prepared by the culinary team are enjoyed in the dining room, which can host all passengers in a single seating and will keep you feeling healthy and strong for the myriad activities offered throughout the voyage.
Other facilities include the theatre-style presentation room, gift-shop, fitness room, massage room, hot water spa, sauna and plunge pool. There’s also a dedicated expedition ‘mud-room’ where you prepare for your off-ship excursions.
The following additional options may be added to your cruise.
Antarctic Sea Kayaking
Pre-registration required at time of booking. Confirmed access to either a double or single kayak at any offered excursion location. Limited to 16 passengers per voyage. Includes high quality kayaking equipment and services of three kayak guides.
Your cruise price includes:
- Flight Punta Arenas to King George Island
- Shipboard accommodation
- Optional overnight camping (weather permitting)
- All meals on board throughout the voyage
- Tea and coffee station 24 hours daily
- All scheduled landings/excursions (subject to weather and ice conditions)
- Leadership throughout the voyage by the experienced Expedition Leader & Expedition Team
- All port fees
- Group transfer to airport or central location upon disembarkation
- Pre-departure materials
Your cruise price does not include:
- Flights, pre- and post- cruise accommodation
- Charter flights (additional expense)
- Visa and passport fees (if applicable)
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended - ask us for a quote today)
- Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages other than those for special events and celebrations
- Personal expenses such as laundry and telecommunication charges
- Staff gratuities