Scouting PNG's Sepik River
DURATION:8 Days/ 7 NightsREGION:Australia, New Zealand & PacificSHIP:Coral Expeditions I
Flowing for 1,100 km from the Central Highlands through Papua New Guinea to the coast, the mighty Sepik River has nurtured tribes and cultures for millennia. With dense terrain ensuring this part of the world remains largely inaccessible by road, the river provides access to untouched villages and towns along its course. New for 2018, you can be one of the first to discover the middle Sepik region on one of just four landmark expeditions in February 2018, each of seven days duration. Positioning Coral Expeditions I at the Sepik for a short month-long window, we will
take advantage of her shallow draft and manoeuvrability to travel as far as the middle Sepik, where few have ventured before. Allowing the flow of the river to determine the daily itinerary, you will visit local tribes who have had little contact with 21st century technology, pass through some of the oldest and densest rainforests in the world, and look out for local species including the famed Bird of Paradise. Reconnaissance voyages up smaller tributaries can be taken in smaller tender vessels, returning after each excursion to the comfort of Coral Expeditions I.
We have multiple departure dates for this cruise. Select a year and month to view itineraries for alternative departure dates.
Coral Expeditions I
Operated by: Coral Expeditions
Coral Expeditions I is fully equipped for the ultimate expedition cruising experience in Australian coastal waters. Australian flagged, registered and staffed, the ship was purpose-built for cruising in our region and is the ideal size to access the very best parts of Western Australia’s remarkable Kimberley cruise region, the northern coastlines of Cape York and Arnhem Land and the World Heritage-listed Great Barrier Reef.
The 24 onboard rooms feature natural light, with a fresh and modern decor creating a breezy feel. You can choose between double and twin bedded rooms, each fully equipped with a spacious private en suite, air conditioning and ample storage space.
The ship’s forward lounge is a great place to relax and enjoy the scenery in air-conditioned comfort, and features a comprehensive reference library and plasma screens. The Sun Deck at the rear with a new bar outdoor area added in 2016 is another popular place to relax and take in the panoramic views.
Meals are served in the modern dining room, and with space for all guests to dine during one sitting and no assigned seating, meal times are a great opportunity to get to know your fellow expeditioners.
Coral Expeditions I operates an open bridge policy, allowing you to spend time with the Captain and his maritime crew as we cruise. Follow our progression on the ship’s charts and chat with Captain, or simply sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery. Coral Expeditions I is fitted with modern safety and navigation equipment, and wireless internet facilities.
Your cruise price includes:
- Accommodation in selected room grade for the number of nights as listed in each itinerary
- All meals
- House beer and wine during lunch and dinner service
- 24 hour soft drinks, tea and barista-style coffee
- Captain’s welcome and farewell drinks
- Access to islands, marine and national parks
- Guided tours on Explorer expedition vessel, zodiacs, glass-bottom boat and kayaks
- Touring as described in each itinerary
- Services of expedition staff and lecturers including briefings and knowledge-sharing sessions
- Port taxes and government charges imposed by government authorities
- Tipping not required on board
Your cruise price does not include:
- Pre and post flights, transfers and hotels
- Entry visas/travel permits
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended - SAVE 20% when puchased with your expedition)
- Items of a personal nature including but not limited to phone and internet communications and bar charges (outside of the included drinks package as highlighted), laundry charges and souvenir purchases
Book your next cruise
Please note: This cruise is sold in AUD
This itinerary is an indication of the destinations visited and activities on offer. While every effort will be made to follow this itinerary the Captain and Expedition Leader do reserve the right to vary this itinerary to make allowances for weather, tidal conditions and any other event that may affect the operation of the vessel.
Single travellers are accommodated in Cabin & Stateroom category rooms upon payment of a 50% single supplement. All other room grades require payment of a 100% single supplement.