North Iceland - Arctic Circle & Aurora Borealis
DURATION:4 Days/ 3 NightsREGION:ArcticSHIP:Rembrandt Van Rijn
This four day voyage aboard the classic 33-guest schooner Rembrandt Van Rijn to the Arctic Circle is the ideal break for those short on time, or for those people keen to try out Expedition Cruising for the first time. The itinerary loops out of Akureyri in Northern Iceland and visits the remote island of Grimsey, allowing you to take a
guided walk across the Arctic Circle. Night time viewing of the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) should be another highlight of the expedition. Then, sail across Skjafandi Bay to see Humpback and Minke whales, White-beaked dolphins and Harbour porpoise before returning to Akureyri.
We have multiple departure dates for this cruise. Select a year and month to view itineraries for alternative departure dates.
Rembrandt Van Rijn
Operated by: Oceanwide Expeditions
S/V Rembrandt Van Rijn was built as a herring lugger early last century. Later, she was rebuilt as a three-mast passenger sailing schooner in the Netherlands in 1994 and sailed in Spitsbergen (1994 – 1996) and the Galápagos Islands (1998 - 2001). After joining the Oceanwide Expeditions fleet she underwent a complete rebuilding and refurbishment program during 2011. The communication and navigation equipment has been completely renewed according to the latest SOLAS regulations. She is well suited for expedition cruising among small islands and offers good open deck viewing areas, also when under sail. The two inflatable zodiacs enable landing and wildlife viewing opportunities in otherwise inaccessible areas.
Your cruise price includes:
- Three night voyage aboard the Rembrandt van Rijn
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- AECO fees and governmental taxes
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
Your cruise price does not include:
- Airfares to and from the cruise
- Pre- and post- land arrangements
- Transfers to / from the vessel
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- Gratuities - the cruise line states "The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided)"
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended - SAVE 20% when purchased with your expedition)
Book your next cruise
Please note: This cruise is sold in USD
All itineraries are for guidance only. Programs may vary depending on local ice and weather conditions and in order to take advantage of opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is paramount for expedition cruises. Willingness to compromise on comfort is a basic requirement on board of a historic traditional sailing vessel. Important information about the sailing program: the boat is equipped with sails and these will be used in good conditions (open sea, water depth, appropriate wind conditions, time availability). This is not guaranteed. The captain decides whether to use the sails or the engine. There is no claim to one or other propulsion method. If sails are used, they are operated by the crew. Guests follow the safety instructions of the team.
A single supplement of 70% applies for sole use of cabins.